Wednesday, February 9, 2011

*Mt Charleston Camping trip!* (Northloop trail to Raintree)

An old friend of mine & I stumbled upon this trail when the campground we were planning to stay at was full. This hike begins off of Deer Creek Road (Highway 158). It's at the 2nd turnout on the left (when coming from LV) past the hilltop camping area. Look for a paved parking area with a large sign - this is the trailhead.
Trailhead
The hike is nearly all uphill with lots of switchbacks. It is about 2.7mi from the trailhead to raintree. I felt like the trail was difficult endurance-wise on the first day and MUCH easier the 2nd day when I became adjusted to the altitude, but then again I am not used to carrying as much weight as I was at the time! The peak elevation along the trail is 10,000ft, with an elevation gain of apx 1700ft. My camping buddy had no trouble whatsoever with this hike even with the weight of his bag, but he is an experienced backpacker. The trail is very easy to see the entire way and runs through a forest. There are many areas along the way with beautiful views. On a clear day you can see the strip from some locations.

This was a really fun place to go camping. We found a spot right off the main trail that had a good amount of space for our tent as well as a fire pit. The person I was with had a special bag to keep our food in that prevents the smell from escaping & he also hung this bag high up in a tree. The reason for this of course is to keep animals away from the food and away from us! This is a good hike to carry a gun on, because mountain lions and other wild animals live here. We camped in June and it was VERY cold at night... Bring warm clothes even if its warm in the daytime! We both had excellent sleeping bags which kept us warm.
Camping spot

Tree branches make excellent cup holders!  :)
Breakfast time!
View from camp site


Pics along the ridgetop of the trail on Day 2, before the switchbacks begin
The most interesting part of the hike in my opinion are the trees that are part dead and part alive due to being struck by lightening. 
The person I went camping with stayed a few days longer than I did. This was his camping spot, the best spot ever - right at raintree!! He traveled further the next day and was close to a spring where he could get water (if I remember correctly it's Mummy Springs).
The pictures below are of raintree, which is about 3000 years old! (The first two pictures belong to me, the remainder were taken by my  friend)



This hike is a great one to bring your dog on! 

The following pictures were taken by an old friend who continued on past raintree. I'm not sure what route he took, so I'm not going to try to comment! I really enjoyed these amazing pictures!  :)










No comments:

Post a Comment